Written Paper

Acute toxicity of mercury to Oreochromis niloticus fingerlings  [1991]

Cuvin-Aralar, M.L.A. (Binangonan Freshwater Station, Rizal (Philippines))

Access the full text

Fingerlings of Oreochromis niloticus were exposed to the following mercury (as HgCl2) concentrations: 0.005, 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.04, 0.05 and 0.06 micron 1 to the power of -1 Hg of water. Hyperactivity and erratic swimming were the first indications of mercury intoxication. Scoliosis, a curvature in the mid-trunk region, was observed in some fish in the 0.03-0.06 g micron 1 at the power of -1 Hg tanks. The occurrence of scoliosis is significantly correlated with mercury concentration. The 24 hour LC50 (0.0375 g micron 1 at the power of -1 Hg) did not differ significantly with the 96 hour LC50 (0.0350 micron g 1 at the power of -1 Hg)

From the journal

BIOTROP Special Publication (Indonesia)

ISSN : 0125-975X