AGRIS

Data provider:

Icon data provider

The National Agricultural Library is one of four national libraries of the United States, with locations in Beltsville, Maryland and Washington, D.C. It houses one of the world's largest and most accessible agricultural information collections and serves as the nexus for a national network of state land-grant and U.S. Department of Agriculture field libraries. In fiscal year 2011 (Oct 2010 through Sept 2011) NAL delivered more than 100 million direct customer service transactions.

Journal Article

Journal article

Effective microorganisms and their influence on vegetable production - a review  [2013]

Olle, M.; Williams, I.H.;

Access the full text

  • NOT AVAILABLE
This review aims to describe the nature of effective microorganisms (EM) and how EM influence the growth, yield, quality, and protection of vegetable plants. EM comprise a mixture of live natural cultures of microorganisms isolated from fertile soils that are used to improve crop production. EM technology was developed over 40 years ago by Dr. Tero Higa in Japan. How EM act and interact in the soil-plant environment to suppress plant pathogens and disease, to conserve energy, to solubilise soil minerals, to aid the balance and ecology of soil microbes, and to improve photosynthetic efficiency and biological nitrogen fixation are described. In 70% of published studies, it was concluded that EM had a positive effect on the growth of vegetables, while, in the other 30%, they had no significant influence. In this investigation, among 22 reports on the effects of EM on the yields of vegetables, 84% were positive, 4% were negative, and 12% showed no significant influence. It is concluded that EM can improve the quality and yield of vegetables by reducing the incidence of pests and diseases, and by protecting against weeds, thereby contributing to sustainable agriculture.

Access the full text

  • NOT AVAILABLE
Loading...

Bibliographic information

Language:
English
Type:
Journal Article
In AGRIS since:
2015
Volume:
88
Issue:
4
Start Page:
380
End Page:
386
All titles:
" Effective microorganisms and their influence on vegetable production - a review "
Other:
" Includes references "

From the journal

Journal of horticultural science and biotechnology

ISSN : 1462-0316